Want A Terrific Experience With A DMC? Be Sure To Check The Firm’s Credentials
Are you considering hiring a Destination Management Company (DMC) to orchestrate your organization’s next big event? Be sure the firm has significant experience and – importantly – check their credentials.
As Meeting Planners and Event Planners know, a DMC can take the hassle out of managing a corporate event. The DMC can be the Planner’s one-stop provider for any services needed for a successful event or meeting, providing everything from tours, venue selection, catering, décor, entertainment, transportation, and much more.
For a DMC to become accredited (an Accredited Destination Management Company is known as an ADMC), it must meet a number of stringent requirements as designated by the Association of Destination Management Executives International (ADMEI). ADMEI is a membership association for Destination Management Companies and serves as the premier source for education, standards, and practices within the Destination Management Industry.
DMCs like Agenda: USA that are active members of ADMEI – and have achieved ADMC accreditation – are recognized for their high level of professionalism. Our team at Agenda: USA achieved its accreditation in 2008, and we’ve made it a high priority to maintain that accreditation ever since. We want potential clients to rest assured we have the knowledge, experience, and skillset to help them orchestrate a successful event.
An Accredited Destination Management Company must:
- Provide four of the five core DMC services: Tours/Activities, Transportation, Event Management, Entertainment, and Program Logistics.
- Generate 80% of its annual revenue from these Destination Management services.
- Have a minimum of three full-time employees, including at least one Destination Management Certified Professional (DMCP) on staff.
- Maintain comprehensive insurance, sufficient to protect clients, including a minimum of $2 million General Liability.
- Be a member of the local Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, the local Tourist Bureau, and/or the local Chamber of Commerce.
- Operate ethically and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as adhere to ADMEI’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Communicate regularly with clients to ensure they are providing all contracted services effectively and efficiently.
- Enter into written contracts with each client stating, at a minimum, the services to be provided, fees and billing procedures, and the term and termination aspects of the contracts.
- Administer written or electronic client satisfaction surveys for every program operated, for quality control.
As noted above, an Accredited Destination Management Company (ADMC) must have at least one Destination Management Certified Professional (DMCP) on staff. So, it’s important to also point out the stringent requirements individuals must also meet to achieve the DMCP designation.
Before being considered, an applicant for a DMCP designation, the industry professional must:
- Have a minimum of 3 years experience in Destination Management or 2 years of experience in Destination Management plus a college degree.
- Be currently employed in the hospitality industry.
- Be responsible and accountable for the successful completion of Destination Management programs.
If a DMCP candidate has met the above criteria, the individual must also meet ADMEI’s stringent requirements before achieving the coveted designation. Those requirements include:
- Completing multiple industry-related continuing education programs.
- Completing a detailed questionnaire about his or her background and experience.
- Submitting a letter of recommendation from a client.
- Submitting a letter of recommendation from a hospitality industry professional.
- Successfully complete a 150-question DMC-focused exam.
Meeting and Event Planners who have engaged with Destination Management Companies over the years recognize the importance of having an Accredited Destination Management Company (ADMC) on their side when orchestrating an event for their client or corporation. Likewise, they appreciate the value of working side-by-side with a Destination Management Certified Professional (DMCP).
Looking for more information on the benefits of hiring an Accredited Destination Management Company? Be sure to review the ADMEI website. Or feel free to call our Agenda: USA office at 913.268.4466! As the first and only Accredited Destination Management Company in Kansas City, we would be delighted to share with you our experience over the past 30+ years of providing professional Destination Management Services to companies who not only call Kansas City home but those who are visiting KC for their meetings and events.